Monday, July 9, 2012

Jewelry


Jewelry

Unlike paintings or collages, jewelry is seasonal.  It is based on fashion-trends.  Styles can vary according to the trends for the particular season.



Unfortunately, the fashion industry is run by a select few individual fashion designers and countless promoters.  Not all “high” fashion is suited to all people, and all body-types.  This is my one concern!

My daughter jokingly calls my jewelry “hippie-stuff”.  She keeps telling me to use materials in my designs that are the current trend, such as ribbon.  Another suggestion, made by a friend, was to make my work Native American. This was because I used to live on the reservation. 



My goal and purpose is to combine healing with beauty.  I chose stones for their qualities, and chose the metals to utilize within a piece, as well. There are very few non-natural materials involved.  Even glass is a natural material (silica is a form of "sand").

The styles I chose to use in the creation of my jewelry are more classic in design.  The term, “classic” is used to describe a more ageless design. Within my jewelry the emphasis are the stones and metals. 

Only recently have I began to integrate portions of my paintings within the jewelry designs.  At first, I had a real inner battle.  Do I use resin? Or do I use glass to encase the imagery? Glass won out, because of it natural components.







No comments:

Post a Comment